Around 65 % (2.3 million) of all construction personnel in the USA rely on competent as well as safe scaffold erection, assembly also scaffold safety training. Existing OSHA standards for scaffolds are actually in effect since 1996 because they are posted in 29 CFR 1926, Subpart L. Factor to those new specifications is the existence of a competent individual “capable of determining existing and also predictable hazards” to employees. The competent person should also possess the authority to halt work if required to correct as well as get rid of hazards or unsanitary circumstances on or around scaffolding.
What OSHA needs the scaffold competent person to do:
- Often, the competent person choose and administers the individuals who set up, clear out, shift or modify scaffolds at work.
- The competent person is the main training program source to the workplace and is anticipated to constantly educate the scaffold personnel.
- The competent person analyzes the scaffolding for problems before the work starts each shift. In particular, OSHA demands checking of suspended scaffold ropes as well as synthetic rope rigging employed to hold toprails or maybe midrails.
- For suspended scaffolds, the competent person evaluates weight restrictions and also must decide whenever it is to brace multi-point scaffolds to stop swaying.
- For erecting and also dismantling, the competent person will make the call on the requirement for fall protection as well as access safety.
- When scaffold components come from various producers, the competent person needs to decide whether or not intermixing the pieces is going to be safe and structurally strong. When the joined components are metallic, the competent person needs to decide whether the different metals galvanic or maybe chemical action probably have influenced the structural reliability of the scaffolding.
- Competent person requirements depend upon the task.
OSHA Scaffolding Competent Person Safety Certification Training Course
So the scaffolding competent person is the vital participant on any specific workplace, and the individual both skillful and experienced in scaffold erection and safety. OSHA’s training specifications are only that a competent person “must possess training program or knowledge” in the assessment of scaffolds. Instead of imposing specific training requirements, OSHA respect a “competent person” when it comes to dependability.
Have a look at our Scaffolding Competent Person certification training course.
Get in touch with us and learn how this OSHA safety training course stacks up in quality, convenience and worth in order to keep your work site safe from scaffolding accidents.